So now you’re making it a point to get a workout in on the regular. Maybe you’ve made pre-workout supplements part of your routine. Or maybe you’re a distance runner and can consistently run for miles and miles. Perhaps you’re a swimmer or a biker or a pole-vaulter. Maybe you’re just the run-of-the-mill average Joe that’s trying to impress the fairer sex by bulking up or getting shredded. Whatever your flavor of exercise, whatever your reason, there are 6 separate post workout supplements that you cannot leave out of your regimen.
Some of the supplements are for post workout recovery while others are to help ensure you’re not leaving anything on the table when it comes to results. We’ve taken the liberty to break the six supplements in two categories so that you can focus on what matters most to you; Perhaps it’s a combination of both!
Post Workout Supplements You Cannot Leave Out of Your Recovery Plan
- Whey Protein – There is a short window of time after a good workout, somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, that your system is extra efficient on carrying nutrients to your muscles. While most proteins take some time to digest, breakdown, and carry away, whey protein can be used almost instantly. Make yourself a whey protein shake so that your muscles get the recovery nutrients they need and are ready to rock for your next workout!
- Fast-Digesting Carbohydrates – If you had a good workout, you’re spent. You need energy. This includes your muscles. Most carbohydrates take too long to digest and rather than refueling your muscle cells[i], you are going to create unwanted fat stores. Get your fast digesting carbohydrates from peas, yams, sweet potatoes, bananas, dates, and peaches. Don’t eat bread!
- Creatine – Notoriously effective for keeping energy levels high, creatine can make the difference between needing a nap and being able to carry on throughout your day. Creatine also improves the efficacy of the whey protein you ingest while receives improvement from the carbohydrates you digest!
Post Workout Supplements You Cannot Leave Out to Maximize Results
- Casein Protein – Much slower to be digested than whey protein, casein allows for prolonged muscle protein synthesis[ii]. Muscle growth can be enhanced for hours after a workout if the body is able to digest casein over time, supplying the muscles with a constant stream of protein.
- BCAA’s – Branched-chain amino acids are absolutely critical for muscle growth. Think of BCAA supplementation as steroids for protein synthesis. BCAA’s have been found to improve muscle growth by up to 30% and should be supplemented throughout the day but the most important time is directly after a workout. Supplementing post workout helps take advantage of your body’s increased blood flow and further improves the protein synthesis.
- Beta-Alanine – Remember how we said creatine was for recovery? Bet-Alanine supplementation makes the creatine effective influential when it comes to muscle growth as well. Apart from making creatine even better, Bet-Alanine supplements have been proven to maintain muscle strength and endurance. Beta-Alanine not only makes you stronger, but helps prevent muscle loss and healthy rebuild!
[ii] Wilborn, Colin D, et al. “The Effects of Pre- and Post-Exercise Whey vs. Casein Protein Consumption on Body Composition and Performance Measures in Collegiate Female Athletes.”US National Library of Medicine, Journal of Sports and Science Medicine, 1 Mar. 2013, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761774/.