In an effort to continue our cleanup work regarding ingredients and supplements that we’ve talked about in the past, we’re going to bring forth some of the side effects of mucuna pruriens that you need to be aware of, should you choose to use it. If you’d like to refer back to this post about the benefits of mucuna pruriens, you certainly may take a moment to do that before moving on with this article. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to review the dosage recommendations that we wrote about back in Spring time. Neglecting to mention the side effects of mucuna pruriens supplementation would be irresponsible on our behalf so without further ado, let’s get to it!
Common Side Effects of Mucuna Pruriens
The common side effects aren’t nearly as scary as the uncommon side effects, but we’ll get to those in a minute. Common side effects include a feeling of nausea or upset stomach as well as gassiness and bloating. In both cases, the side effects don’t last for more than an hour or two at a time and can be easily treated with an antacid chewable. Roughly 20 percent of individuals who ingest mucuna pruriens experience one or both of these side effects. That sounds high but most people feel the permanent benefits are worth the temporary discomfort. -Especially since you can manage the discomfort with an antacid.
Uncommon Side Effects
We make it a point to not hide anything from our readers. There are a variety of reported side effects when it comes to mucuna pruriens supplementation. Some of these uncommon side effects aren’t exactly that dangerous but some can be life threatening so you really need to know what to look for. Keep in mind the life threatening side effects are only life threatening if you decide to supplement with preexisting medical problems like diabetes or liver disease.
- Hallucinations – Remember that one of the benefits of mucuna pruriens supplementation was mood enhancement. It makes sense that some, more sensitive people see minor hallucinations and have very vivid dreams as you stabilize chemical imbalances in your brain.
- Mood Swings/Agitation – Something to be aware of, though it’s rare. Everybody’s chemical balances in the brain are slightly different. Your body could reject the mucuna pruriens and have opposite of the expected and desired mental effects.
- Sugar Complications – People with diabetes should avoid supplementation altogether. Mucuna pruriens can lower blood sugar levels, leading to serious complications in people with low blood sugar problems.
- Liver Disease – Recovering addicts shouldn’t dabble in mucuna pruriens supplementation. If your liver is already weakened by past abuse, you should avoid the substance altogether. The liver breaks down the mucuna pruriens waste and only somebody with healthy liver function can take the beating.
- Stomach ulcers – In some instances, people have developed stomach ulcers from prolonged use of mucuna pruriens. If you start to use and have never struggled with heartburn in the past but fine you have acid reflux increasingly more often, you should stop the supplementation. Should there be stomach pain, see a physician.