Visceral fat is the annoying, unwanted fat that tends to linger around our waistline or on our underarms, hips, and thighs. This is the gross fat that can increase stress hormones and cytokines within our bodies. Affecting the insulin we naturally produce, cytokines from visceral fat don’t just make us unattractive.
** Related: How to Get Rid of Thigh Fat **
Visceral fat directly relates to diabetes, heart conditions, and some types of cancer. Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves though. It’s not all doom and gloom when you want to know how to lose visceral fat. Visceral fat is stubborn and can be difficult to lose but that’s only if you’re not sure what to do in order to target the nasty, fatty deposits directly. Let’s take a look at how to lose visceral fat without starving ourselves or downright killing ourselves with workouts that are just too intense.
- …eat foods that are loaded in carbohydrates. Our bodies tend to store carbs in the form of visceral fat. Our bodies also understand that we only need X amount of carbohydrates for immediate energy burn and anything excess will be stored away in visceral fat, whether we’re going to need it or not.
- …starve yourself. The most common misconception of people who are desperate to lose visceral fat is that they need to starve themselves. Starving yourself is actually counter-productive in this scenario. By starving yourself, you’re training your body to understand food is scarce. When you DO finally eat, your body will put a larger percentage away in the form of visceral fat so that it has reserves to be burned at a later time.
- …sit on your butt. When you can, stand. By standing at the office, you’re forcing your body to sustain more effort for a longer period of time, thus using up some of that stored visceral fat. If you’re going to watch television for a half hour, consider standing and watching instead of plopping down on the couch.
- …eat smaller helpings in increased frequency. We want to retrain the way your body uses foods for energy consumption. If your body knows that food is coming often, it’s less likely to create fatty stores because it knows the next meal is right around the corner. (YES, OUR BODIES ARE THAT SMART!)
- …eat lots of protein. Protein makes us feel full and staves off hunger. It also leads to muscle growth and subsequently leads to a natural decrease in visceral fat.
- …exercise. You can probably burn some of that visceral fat off just by changing your eating habits, but exercise definitely helps. It will also help you feel healthier and more accomplished.
- …read this article to better understand how you can improve your lifestyle and give yourself even more weapons to wield in the war with visceral fat.
Hunger is often the primary enemy in a losing battle with visceral fat. Retraining your metabolism isn’t exceptionally easy. It’s okay to need help along the way. We recommend you look in to some tasty protein shakes as a nice way to stave off hunger while you try to retrain your metabolism and work on the reduction of unhealthy visceral fat.