It might come as a surprise to you that there are side effects to supplementing with something as common and natural as celery seed. Think about it. You probably eat celery all the darn time! Have you every had any sort of negative reaction that you’re aware of? We’re betting not, especially because celery is primarily comprised of water!
But… it’s true. Celery seed supplementation does come with some side effects that you need to be aware of. Today, we’re going to take a look at these side effects as we’ve already talked to you about the benefits and importance of celery seed supplementation. We’ll split the side effects up, similar to the way we have in blog posts of the past; Common and Uncommon.
The Common Side Effects of Celery Seed
- Skin irritation – Not to be confused with skin inflammation, which is a sure-fire sign of allergies, skin irritation is easily the most common of side effects when it comes to celery seed extract supplementation. Likely because of the improved blood flow and newfound efficacy of your kidneys, close to 1/3 of all people who choose prolonged celery seed supplementation deal with a few days of skin rash. If the problem persists longer than three days, be sure to cut out all celery seed supplementation and see a doctor as you could still be allergic.
- Low Blood pressure – Some people will notice a reduction of blood pressure. This is not nearly as common as the skin irritation but occurs frequently enough that it needs to be mentioned. The drop in blood pressure is not something that needs to be worried about unless you have low blood pressure at the start of supplementation, in which case you need to see a physician before you even consider celery seed extract.
The Uncommon Side Effects of Celery Seed Supplements
- Kidney problems – The most common of the uncommon side effects, kidney malfunction can be a result of sudden celery seed supplementation. Your kidneys and your liver are what breakdown the celery seed and extract the useful properties. If you’ve got pre-existing kidney issues or have struggled with kidney stones in the past, it’s best to avoid the supplementation all together.
- Bleeding disorder – For those who weren’t aware they had low blood pressure, or for those who were aware they have low blood pressure and don’t heed the warnings attached to celery seed supplements, you’re likely to develop a bleeding disorder. Thankfully, the disorders can be reversed with treatment but let’s hope you don’t get shot or stabbed any time too soon. Scratch that, we don’t ever want you to get shot or stabbed. You know what we mean.
4 Absolute Precautions of Celery Seed Extract
- Be aware of your physical well being. If your kidneys are in good health and your blood pressure is reasonable, you should be perfectly fine to start supplementation.
- Understand that if you’re allergic to birch pollens, you may also be allergic to celery seed. They contain similar compounds.
- Keep the skin irritation/rashes out of the sun as the UV rays will only make it worse.
- Don’t eat celery seeds that are specifically manufactured for supplementation. Seeds in gardening packets have been treated with poisonous chemicals like pesticides.