Today, we’re going to talk about one of the supplements that you’re almost certainly never heard of, even though many of you are likely already dosing with it and don’t even know it. Celery seed extract is frequently used in a variety of health and fitness supplement blends because of how beneficial it can be without carrying the burden of having negative side effects. We use celery seed benefits to help provide the nutrients your body needs to sustain your workout periods, but it doesn’t hurt you in your rest cycle either!
What is Celery Seed?
We’re certain that you’re not stupid. Celery seed extract comes from the celery vegetable. That much you’ve probably figured out. What you probably don’t know is just how great celery is for your body. The USDA says that one cup of raw celery provides you with the following nutrients and essentials that are beneficial to your body:
- 7 gram protein
- 2 gram fat
- 6 grams fiber
- 6 micrograms vitamin K – roughly 37 percent of your daily value
- 453 international units – roughly 9 percent of your daily value
- 5 micrograms folate – roughly 9 percent of your daily value
- 263 milligrams potassium – roughly 8 percent of your daily value
- 1 milligrams vitamin C – roughly 5 percent of your daily value
- milligram manganese – roughly 5 percent of your daily value
- milligram vitamin B6 – roughly 4 percent of your daily value
- 4 milligrams calcium – roughly 4 percent of your daily value
- milligram riboflavin – roughly 3 percent of your daily value
- 1 milligrams magnesium – roughly 3 percent of your daily value
Additionally, celery is super light on carbohydrates and calories. A full cup of raw celery contains only 16 calories, meaning you can snack all day without feeling guilt, which is something that we can all be happy about!
Celery Seed Extract
For those of you that don’t like the taste of celery or are interested in getting more than those relatively small amounts of nutrients, celery seed extract can be supplemented on its own or in blends. The extract contains fewer calories and higher levels of the aforementioned nutrient list.
So WHY Supplement? What are the Benefits of Celery Seed?
Aside from helping you recover from your workouts and providing your body with essential nutrients it needs to, ya know, be healthy…
- Celery has been proven to reduce your cholesterol and blood pressure! Like many of the organic supplements we recommend, celery drastically helps the cardiovascular system.
- Unlike many of the supplements that you can take, celery seed extract actually helps protect against liver disease. Many of the substances you ingest to help build muscle or lose weight will actually cause liver damage over time. It’s extra nice to know that the celery seed doesn’t harm your liver and actually helps it, allowing you to safely supplement with other material.
- Similar to the liver protection, the celery seed chemicals help protect your stomach. Providing nutrients directly for the stomach lining, you’re less likely to develop ulcers simply by consuming celery!
- Antioxidants to better your immune system. By dosing with celery seed, you fight against the common cold while making your path to physical prowess a more successful one!